Injury Management & Rehab
An exercise physiologist is a university degree qualified health professional who is an expert in using exercise to treat musculoskeletal & other health conditions. Research clearly proves that supervised structured exercise plays an essential role in the management of many musculoskeletal conditions including;
- back & neck pain
- many sports injuries
- shoulder, hip & knee pain
At Central Performance our exercise physiologists are a vital link between our rehab & fitness/sports performance services. They restore your body’s ideal movement patterns to increase control & efficiency. They help you build a solid foundation for a safe return to higher-intensity exercise & sports.
Can an Exercise Physiologist help me?
- Have you suffered from an injury & need to rebuild your strength & mobility?
- Do you want to prevent & manage recurrent or chronic problems?
- Are you feeling apprehensive about returning to sport after an injury?
- Maybe you have postural issues?
- Perhaps you are recovering from surgery?
“We know of no single intervention with greater promise than physical exercise to reduce the risk of virtually all chronic diseases simultaneously“
Booth et al, Journal of Applied Physiology, 2000.
Our Exercise Physiologist will help you to;
- assess, analyse & understand background movement problems that have contributed to your current problem & increase your risk of future problems
- rebuild strength, mobility & movement efficiency through a progressive exercise program to take you from rehab to full function
- prevent & manage recurrent or chronic problems by identifying the background causative factors that are contributing to them
- address postural issues by assessing patterns of muscle imbalance & ergonomics
- recover from surgery with a carefully designed exercise program
Your First Exercise Physiology session – the Biomechanical Assessment
In your initial consultation your exercise physiologist will talk with you to understand your condition & establish goals for your rehab. They will assess you with a thorough Biomechanical Assessment to identify the underlying cause of your condition. This uses cutting-edge video analysis & movement screens like the Functional Movement Systems (FMS/SFMA) to highlight movement imbalances & clarify your priorities for correction.They will help you understand how these imbalances are impacting your movement & contributing to your problems, then design a personalised exercise program to correct them.
Your Exercise Physiology Program
For your convenience we offer a flexible range of exercise physiology programs;
- individual 1:1 consultations
- small group rehab maintenance classes
- progressive functional core strengthening classes
- dynamic performance fitness classes
You do not need a doctor’s referral to see our exercise physiologists
No doctor’s referral is required for any of our private services at Central Performance. However, if you have already seen your doctor & have a written referral, or if you already have any x-rays or other scan results, please bring these along to your first appointment.
On-the-spot health fund rebates
All of our exercise physiologists are fully accredited with all health funds, & for your convenience we provide on-the-spot health fund claims through the HICAPS system. If you are in a private health fund please bring your card along with you.
The only time you will need a referral from your doctor is if you are being treated through Workers’ Compensation, Enhanced Primary Care, Department of Veterans’ Affairs (DVA) or Compulsory Third Party Insurance after a car accident. In these instances, please bring your GP referral as well as the insurance details or your DVA card.